Conveyancing Advice for Property Seller
"The bottom line in all this is not for the PSC to collect a fine, but to make sure something like this doesn't ever happen again," he said. ULH&P has 20 days to respond to the two violations, which each carry a penalty of up to $25,000. The PSC said the two ULH&P workers went to the school June 6 to perform an annual test on a gas meter. While attempting to rig a bypass line around the meter to maintain gas service to the school, they discovered a defective wing cock. Instead of turning off the gas to replace the valve, they tried to do it with the gas on, allowing gas to leak into the building, the commission said in a violation order issued Thursday.

"Apparently, the escaping gas reached an explosive level, was ignited, and resulted in an explosion and fire," the commission said in its order. The commission also cited the utility for not having a fire extinguisher present when gas was escaping. A spokesman for Cinergy, the parent company of ULH&P, said late Thursday afternoon the company had not yet received the order and couldn't comment on the alleged violations.

"We do take these matters very seriously and we will review the order and respond to the commission," spokesman Steve Brash said. Covington fire officials determined a pilot light on a water heater tank set off the explosion and fire. The PSC did its own investigation, as it does on all such incidents involving state utilities. ULH&P employees Lee Williams and Terry Wordlow were treated for burns after the explox sion, but the several school employees in the building that morning escaped unharmed. No students or teachers were present, as school had let out for the summer.

The fire and explosion caused about $1 million in damage, destroying the kitchen, library and some classrooms. Parts of the school have been rebuilt. Versed and licensed sydney conveyancing property are always helping you in all transactions of property purchasing process. Other parts of the school are still under repair. School Supt. Jack Moreland said the damage was fully covered by the district's insurance company. The school has not initiated any legal action against Cinergy to recoup costs and likely wouldn't, Moreland said. A decision on whether to do so would be made later by the insurance company, he said.

Glenn O. Swing started the school year last week with new paint, newly refurbished classrooms and central heat and air-conditioning - something the school didn't have before the fire. Health officials are warning people who bought homemade ice cream at a Camp Springs church lawn festival to throw it away.